Updated: March 29, 2019
The human body operates in harmony with the energy system of the universe. It’s a latticework of energies, vibrating at different frequencies, encompassing the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects.
It has been perfectly created to function optimally, provided we observe the laws of nature.
Modern lifestyles can create havoc within our energies and disrupt their healthy flow, resulting in congestion and blockages, leading to dis-ease.
Re-connecting with the ancient Indian wisdom of energy healing practices allows us to empower our body’s innate capacity to self-heal, and return us to our natural state of wholeness.
Self-healing practices include:
The holistic practice of balancing the vital energy throughout the body by joining different combinations of the fingers and thumbs.
It’s believed that the human structure is a miniature form of the universe, composed of the five elements: earth, water, fire, air and space, each of which corresponds to a specific finger or thumb. Holding specific fingers and thumbs together for a short period of time allow the elements to regain equilibrium, which creates a positive effect throughout the entire being, to encourage our body’s natural healing response. Traditionally, mudras were practiced in conjunction with pranayama (yogic breathing exercises) to attain a higher state of consciousness or to channel the vital flow of energy to an area of the body that required healing.
Mudras can be practiced while sitting, walking or lying down during meditation.
The Kalesvara Mudra assists in eliminating addictions of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and food, by deeply calming and balancing the energy of the mental and emotional body.
- Place the tips of the middle fingers together.
- Place the tips of your thumbs together.
- Place the middle joints of your index fingers together.
- Bend your ring and little fingers inwards.
- Point your thumbs towards your chest.
- Stretch your elbows outwards.
- Relax your body and breathe slowly and deeply.
Practice two times a day for thirty minutes in total.
The Tse Mudra assists in lifting the spirits to relieve depression and grief, by empowering the energy of the emotional body.
- Place your hands on your thighs with your palms facing upwards.
- Place the tips of your thumbs on the base of your little fingers.
- Inhale slowly and bend your four fingers over your thumbs.
- Retain your breath for a few seconds.
- Exhale and open your hands, releasing worry and anxiety.
- Repeat eleven times.
Practice three times a day.
The Surabhi Mudra assists in relieving pain and inflammation, by detoxifying and strengthening the energy of the physical body.
- Place the tip of your left little finger and the tip of your right ring finger together.
- Place the tip of your right little finger and the tip of your left ring finger together.
- Place the tip of your left middle finger and the tip of your right index finger together.
- Place the tip of your right middle finger and tip of your left index finger together.
- Relax and extend your thumbs.
Practice three times a day for thirty minutes in total.
The holistic practice of balancing the energy throughout the bodily systems by applying gentle pressure to specific points on the face that correspond to the body’s organs and glands.
It’s believed that our face reflects our inner physical, mental and emotional health and the upper, middle and lower areas of our face are associated with the upper, middle and lower parts of our torso. Indian energy healers study the face as a means of diagnosing health imbalances. Self-facial acupressure is effective for restoring our skin’s youthfulness and assisting our natural capacity to heal, as it reactivates the vital energy flowing through our bodily systems. Traditionally facial acupressure was applied during an Ayurvedic head massage to calm the mind, body and spirit.
Relieve stress – gently massage the nervous system point for two minutes, in small circular motions. It’s located at the centre of the forehead, at the hairline.
Improve concentration – gently massage the mind points for two minutes, in small circular motions. They are located one inch above the centre of each eyebrow.
Empower digestion – gently massage the liver points for two minutes, in small circular motions. They are located on the inside edge of the eyebrows, above the bridge of the nose.
Assist in detoxification – gently massage the lymphatic system points for two minutes, in small circular motions. They’re located at the jawline, directly below the eyes.
Beautify the skin – gently massage the small intestine points for two minutes, in small circular motions. They’re located under the cheekbones, directly below the eyes.
Regulate elimination – firmly press the bowel point for one minute, three times a day. It’s located at the middle of the chin.
The holistic practice of repeating a mantra, for a short period of time, to detach from the external world, bring our awareness to the present moment and return to the essence of our being.
A mantra is the rhythmic speaking or singing of a word or sound. It’s believed to calm the restless mind and rid it of negative thought processes to create tranquillity and mental purity. Chanting starts loudly, gradually becoming quieter and ends almost silently. This resonates with the energies of the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of our body, to restore inner peace and awaken our latent healing energies. Traditionally, chanting was practiced with great devotion to reconnect with the divine light and love within us to experience the unity of life.
The Traditional Om Chanting Exercise is believed to have a positive effect on the nervous system, for the awakening of the latent physical, mental, and spiritual powers.
- Sit comfortably with your legs crossed.
- Close your eyes and inhale deeply through your nose.
- Retain your breath for a few seconds.
- As you exhale through your mouth, chant the sound ‘Om’ in one long note (one chant during a continuous exhalation can take up to thirty seconds, depending on your lung capacity).
- Start the sound loudly as an ‘aahh’ at your solar plexus.
- Continue the sound as an ‘oohh’ at your chest, allowing it to become quieter.
- Round your mouth and end the sound as an ‘mmmm’ allowing it to become gentle and quiet, as you close your lips.
- Repeat eleven times.
- Observe the stillness within your body and the tranquillity within your mind.
Practice two times a day.
The holistic practice of placing the Earth’s natural stones within the body’s magnetic field to restore the flow of healthy positive energy within and around the body by removing toxic negative energy.
The Earth is crystalline, as it’s composed of minerals, and our bodies are crystalline in essence; therefore our energies resonate harmoniously with the vibration of crystals. Each crystal possesses a unique chemical make-up which determines its healing property and appearance. Placing a crystal in our energy field or on a chakra allows our body to raise its vibration to that of the crystal. Traditionally, the Earth’s natural stones were well known for their capacity to encourage self-healing and were widely used to treat the organs and systems of the body, mind and spirit.
Crystals to empower specific chakras and encourage energy flow
Garnet – Corresponding to the root chakra, it’s stabilizing, revitalizing and assists in protecting one from negative energies.
Carnelian – corresponding to the sacral chakra, it’s rejuvenating, balancing and assists with the manifestation of one’s dreams and desires.
Sunstone – corresponding to the solar plexus chakra, it dispels irrational fears and phobias and assists in reconnecting with one’s personal power.
Unakite – corresponding to the heart chakra, it strengthens circulation and assists in opening the heart to give and receive unconditional love.
Blue Lace Agate – corresponding to the throat chakra, it strengthens communication skills and assists in calming the emotional body.
Moonstone – corresponding to the brow chakra, it balances emotions to reduce anxiety and assists with intuition, wisdom and spiritual powers.
Golden Topaz – corresponding to crown chakra, it balances the endocrine and exocrine system and assists with instilling peace of mind.
The holistic practice of eating food in its whole, unrefined and uncooked form that’s positively and negatively balanced, supplying the body with a plentiful supply of solar energy and active enzymes.
Food eaten in its raw, natural state has a detoxifying, calming and balancing effect on the energies of our body, which instills a similar effect on the energies of our mind and emotions. All the nutrients required by the body are available in plant-based food, in a form that’s easily assimilated. Traditionally, fasting was recommended during illness to allow the body’s energy reserves to be directed towards self-healing, however, adopting a raw food diet for a short period of time can have similar health benefits.
Include the following Indian foods to empower the immune system and initiate the body’s natural healing response:
Gooseberries – the highest source of vitamin C, these berries are known to rejuvenate bodily systems and work as a natural immune-booster and nerve tonic.
Ginger – an anti-aging tonic that reduces inflammation and encourages healthy oxygenation to strengthen the body and ground the emotions.
Turmeric – contains anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties to reduce inflammation and purify the blood and slow down the aging process.
Cardamom – improves digestion and empowers the nervous system to reduce stress, nervous tension and anxiety to relieve cravings.
Sprouts – Sprouted nuts, seeds and legumes are extremely nutritious, highly alkaline and detoxifying to calm the nerves and strengthen the body’s stress response.
Ghee – also known as clarified butter, it’s rich in anti-oxidants, which calms the nervous system and restores the immune system—extensively used in India to nourish the body and detoxify the mind.
The holistic practice of creating positive images of healing within the mental body, which allows the emotional body to respond by becoming receptive to the healing, which subsequently initiates the healing process in the physical body.
Our body and mind are intricately connected and our thoughts have a direct influence on our physical health. By using the power of our mind to envision our healing in process, we’re disciplining our nervous system to react in a positive way, resulting in the desired outcome.
The regular practice of healing visualizations allows us to detach from our past limited beliefs to release our fears and bring our awareness to the present moment to enable us to create a healthy future. Traditionally, there was an innate awareness of the mind, body and soul connection and healing visualizations were practiced through daily prayer.
The Empowerment Healing Visualization relieves stress, anxiety, fear and panic.
Practice two times a day.
- Sit outdoors in nature, with your feet in direct contact with the bare earth, grass or sand.
- Close your eyes and visualize the colour green.
- See the colour green as a dense vortex of deep green healing energy.
- Sense the dense vortex of deep green healing energy spiralling in the earth, beneath your feet.
- Feel its magnetic force gently drawing your energies downwards, through the soles of your feet.
- Visualize yourself being rooted into the earth below.
- Allow your entire being to feel at one with nature.
- Bring your awareness to your body.
- Your body feels safe and grounded by the deep green healing energy.
- Bring your awareness to your mind.
- Your mind feels still and centred by the deep green healing energy.
- Bring your awareness to your emotions.
- Your emotions feel balanced and peaceful by the deep green healing energy.
- Bring your awareness to your breath.
- Visualize the dense vortex of deep green healing energy, attracting your inhalations, pulling them deeper within your body.
- As your breathing becomes deeper, your body becomes relaxed, your mind becomes calm and your emotions become balanced.
- You feel grounded, centred and in control.
- Observe this feeling of empowerment within your body, mind and emotions.
- Create a positive image of this feeling of empowerment within your body, your mind and your emotions.
- Draw upon it during times of stress, anxiety, fear and panic.
- Open your eyes gently and repeat aloud,
- “I trust in the power of my breath to instill strength, stability and harmony throughout my entire being.”
As we strive to meet the demands of our busy lifestyles, we can easily become detached from nature, yet our inner wisdom intuitively reminds us to care for our body and mind holistically. By re-connecting with the ancient Indian wisdom of self-healing practices, we can cleanse, calm and empower our energies naturally, to restore balance, harmony and peace of mind.
This is Part 2 of a two-part article. Read Part 1»